Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sideways.

When I was in fifth grade I entered a project in the city science fair entitled, "Does age have any affect on our ability to perceive an optical illusion?" (hey, what can I say...I was a little geek.) Ever since then, I have been intrigued by things that aren't as they seem. I go crazy for tromp l'oeil and love places like the Santa Cruz Mystery Spot. And clever visuals or photographic trickery? I'm all over it. So I was really excited to discover photographer Jan von Holleben's super whimsical photo series entitled "dreams of flying." They're right up my alley.




These sweet images reminded me of that really cool music video for Adele's Chasing Pavement. OK, the video is definitely darker, seeing as it's about a car accident and all, but the same birds eye effect is used and I love it. It was directed by Mathew Cullen of Motion Theory, who I was fortunate to have worked with this past year on a TV spot. I remember him showing this video to us as we discussed a choreographer and it wasn't til much later I realized he had directed the thang himself. 



Pssst! Yes age DOES affect your ability to see an optical illusion....and I won Third Place in the Science Fair, thank you very much.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. Robin Rhode also does awesome work w/ that kind of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are awesome photographs. if i can remember long enough (like to an age where oliver is old enough to be still for more than 10 seconds), that would be fun to copy.

    there's another video out there that's pretty fancy of an aerial view of a woman sleeping/dreaming. but i have no idea who the singer is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this stop animation video today that was shot sideways like this.
    http://sorry-im-late.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh thank you Christina!! That's super neat!

    ReplyDelete